Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Biology Blah-Blahs

So, if you have talked to me recently, you have probably heard me mention something about my blissful Biology class. If not, let me enlighten you...
When you hear the word Biology, what do you think of? Well, I was prepared for cool stuff like dissecting animals, talking about cells, mitochondria, Transport proteins, Lipid bi layers, Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes, Endocytosis, Cell membrane functions, and really cool labs with really cool lab partners, etc... and don't get me wrong, we have done these things (minus the really cool lab partners-more about that later) However, the main focus in the winter term of Biology class, unbeknownst to me, is on the 'creation' of the earth, so guess what we have been discussing, debating, and pouring over for the last month and a half... how the earth was created! Wahoo! I knew there would be trouble when I went to the first lab and my professors' first question was... drum roll... "How can we know things?" ohhh greeaat. We went on that fateful day to talk about what is science and what is not and he concluded that "science must be observable to everyone". Okaaay, so how did he explain evolution and those "millions and billions of years when eukaryots ruled the world and evolved into what we now know as earth? Well, he hasn't really gotten there...yet. Even though we have learned extensively about the Cell Theory, The Theory of Evolution, The Phylogenetic Tree, The Chemical Evolution Hypothesis, how RNA could be the first replicating molecule, The RNA World Hypothesis, Biological Evolution, The Evolution of a Cell, Where Oxygen came from-(THAT was interesting)... how Eukaryots 'evolved' and tons of other stuff, I'm still not convinced because with each theory and hypothesis, comes a list of complicated "problems we are still trying to work out". The crazy thing is that my professor still totally believing all this stuff when there really are no cold hard facts. What I really feel like doing, is going up to the front of class and reading the first verse of Genesis to everyone... "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." End of story, now everyone can go home.
So, since I already know where all this stuff came from and can sum it up in a short sweet sentence, many times I find myself drifting off to la-la land in class... not good. Oh, but I try hard, so very hard to keep my disengaged mind at attention. I have tried running up the 10 flights of stairs to class in order to get blood to my brain, drinking very steeped black tea before class, waiting until my professor is about to change the power-point slide to start writing down the notes to make it challenging, but to no avail. I find myself thinking about my next class, what I'm going to make for dinner, writing to-do lists... all very bad. So, Gracie and I were shopping at Wild Oats last week and were walking down the vitamin and herb aisle and I picked up this all natural herb that was on sale and it was called "BRAIN PEP" ooo yeaa! It claimed to give you superb mental clarity, energy, and keep you awake and alert, so...being in the weird mood that we were- let me tell you, shopping with the two of us could probably make a comedy show- we bought the miracle herbs, and I am here to tell you that although I am not instantly a genius, I think it just might have helped, because I didn't even feel one wave of sleepiness during class today. Woot. Woot.

So, since I had superb mental clarity, energy and was awake and alert today in class, I would like to leave you with the most recent ingenious Biology fact...*ahem*...
"we have discovered that we are indeed related to plants!"
I'll leave you with that little nugget of truth...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahahaha! Oh, the joys of secular college... ? Ya, I think our version is slightly easier to believe, eh? Well, at least you can be informed about what they all believe in. You could always daydream about having an in-depth conversation with your prof... and eventually leading him to Christ... : )

Brandy said...

throw a bible at your teacher then pray for the healing of the pain that will be inflicted

Brandy said...

i just felt like saying hi again.. honestly.. i don't really have much to say except for HIIIIII and i'm sunburned in march.. YESSSSS!